Many people focus on changing their teeth to improve their smile. However, gum tissue can impact the appearance of your smile almost as much as your teeth. Treating a gummy grin can enhance your smile, but it can also improve your overall oral health. One such procedure that creates beautiful results is a frenectomy.
What Causes a Gummy Smile?
A gummy smile occurs for several reasons. However, the most common include:
- A naturally short upper lip
- An average-sized hyperactive upper lip that rises too high when smiling
- Teeth that are too small compared to the gums due to natural wear or heredity
- Lengthy or enlarged gums
- Teeth that appear short because of improper eruption and stay partially covered by gum tissue
- How your upper jaw bone developed can cause a gummy smile
An in-depth examination from a dental professional can determine what is causing your gummy smile and what treatment is most suitable for your condition.
Using a Frenectomy to Treat a Gummy Smile
A frenectomy is a minor surgical, dental procedure that removes or reduces the tissue bands that connect to the tongue, cheeks, and lips. The treatment can be completed in a single visit with a recovery process between one and two weeks.
These bands of tissue are called frenums, and there are three primary types:
- Labial – connects cheeks and lips
- Lingual – connects to the tongue
- Gingival – connects gums and cheeks
Removing this piece of tissue allows the top lip to drop down and cover more gum tissue. This treatment may improve facial aesthetics, lip closure, and teeth alignment, creating an enhanced smile.
Frenectomy Experts at Empire Dental Associates
If you are concerned about your gummy smile, contact Empire Specialty Dental Group to learn if a frenectomy is a possible treatment plan for you. We have a team of experienced oral surgery professionals who can help improve your smile. Schedule your consultation today!